Monday, April 7, 2008

The use of forums in a classroom environment

My computers application's teacher made an interesting post on his forum about, well "Forums". He pointed out the benefits of using forums in classrooms. He feels that letting student develop their own virtual "school community" is a great way to get them involved. I, myself, am not a huge fan of forums and blogs. However, I have to admit that the thought of getting students to open up about their ideas, complaints, and problems is a good way to get to know your class. I hadn't really thought about this aspect of the relationship between technology and pedagogy. I am therefore quite pleased that he brought it up. It is defenetly something I would try, the only thing I disagree with is how simple he says it is. Maybe I just lack confidance in the field of computers and all that comes with it, but I feel it would take me some practice and getting used to before I could actual be comfortable with managing an encouraging students on a forum.
But hey, that's just me.

1 comment:

Pierre-Luc Marchand said...

Kimberly, I have to say that even though I agree with you, I would rather use a more visitor-friendly color for your background because people might feel sad when they end up on your blog:(